Thursday, May 31, 2007

Genuflection


So, I wonder…often. I used to wonder why the sky is blue, but the answer was so much duller than I initially expected. Then I would wonder about creation and evolution, but no one really knows for sure and I’m not one to argue over uncertainties.

Recently, however, I began to wonder about the return of the Messiah. The Jewish people, if I am correct, believe the Messiah has still to walk among us. The Christians believe he has been here, done that, and may come back again to save the faithful (very King Arthur-ish).

That led me to question what one is to do if Jesus were to return to us? If he were to walk up to you tomorrow, what is the proper greeting? Are we supposed to bow/curtsy as a gesture of respect to the one and only Son of God? Should we drop to the ground in an Asian kowtow position (arms and face on the floor, folks)? Genuflect (a vocabulary term learned while watching Disney’s Aladdin)? Or is there some other, more appropriate and grandiose, way of greeting our Lord and Savior?

I’m not the most religious individual, mind you, but I was raised Southern Baptist and I believe in God and his boy. And I, personally, would hate to be in that position and make the wrong move. It’s one thing to look like a complete idiot in front of your co-workers and something else entirely to do it in front of Jesus Christ.

There’s a part of me that’s convinced that this has already been decided in the religious community, but maybe they believe we common folk won’t have the opportunity to bump into the son of Mary and Joseph in our travels and, therefore, we don’t need to know.

But, I’m one of those just-in-case types of people.

If you have an idea, drop us a comment here at Sparkly. I’d love to ponder the responses.

No comments: